Sunday 20 November 2011

Short and sweet

I'm lazy and don't feel like typing today, so this entry is mostly photos.

Instead of heading back to the tip, I spent the day birding various spots along the lake from Wheatley Harbour to Port Stanley before booking it back to Guelph (the G spot as we affectionately call it). I didn't see much! The highlight was probably a very late Semipalmated Sandpiper at the Port Stanley lagoons with 1 Pectoral, 2 White-rumps, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, and 30ish Dunlin. Strong northwest winds kept the harbours nearly devoid of gulls.

Lots of Pipits today!

American Pipit - random sideroad near Hickville

Ridgetown lagoons were alright, and I found a flock of 550ish Tundra Swans and a Northern Shrike. No photos of the shrike unfortunately - it was quite sneaky.

Tundra Swans - Ridgetown

Tundra Swans - Ridgetown

Female Hooded Merganser eating a Frog! I didn't realize what it was until I blew up the photo.

Hooded Merg

Bonies are always fun to photograph.

Bonaparte's Gull - Ridgetown lagoons

Bonaparte's Gull - Ridgetown lagoons

I found a few massive flocks of gulls while driving random sideroads. Despite my best efforts, this one contained nothing other than 2,700+ Ringbilled Gulls with a handful of Bonies and Herring Gulls. My Mew Gull dreams have been squashed for another day.

Ring-billed Gulls

And that's about it! I wasn't kidding when I said it was a slow day.

1 comment:

dwaynejava said...

Josh, nice posting. Its funny, but Pipits seem to elude me... I haven't seen one yet. Thanks for introducing me to "Frank" on your last posting!