Sunday 28 May 2017

Clay-colored Sparrow in Niagara Falls

On May 21, Bob Highcock and Jean Hampson discovered a singing Clay-colored Sparrow in an old field along Dell Road in Niagara Falls. The other day I dropped by the spot and had already heard the bird singing its distinctive song (2-5 low, monotone buzzes) before I had stopped my car.

Clay-colored Sparrow - Niagara Falls

The bird was not too bothered by my presence and with a bit of patience I was able to take some reasonable photos from a close distance. While I was watching it, a second Clay-colored sounded off in the distance.

Clay-colored Sparrow - Niagara Falls


Clay-colored Sparrow is a common species throughout the prairies in the center of North America, but in southern Ontario it is a relatively rare species. Within Niagara Region Clay-colored Sparrow has always been considered an extremely rare breeding species, though in my experience they are increasing in number and I have observed birds on territory in a handful of different locations. In particular, a lot of the lands bordering the Welland Canal provide suitable habitat for Clay-colored Sparrow.  I wish I had more free time during June and July (my busiest season at work) to explore some of these areas!

Clay-colored Sparrow - Niagara Falls

Clay-colored Sparrow - Niagara Falls

Eventually I continued on my way after an enjoyable half an hour in the Clay-colored field. I did not find a female while I was there, but hopefully one shows up soon! The Clay-colored Sparrow was still buzzing away as I drove away from the field.

Clay-colored Sparrow - Niagara Falls

No comments: